Hair color; Streetsboro’s new form of expression

People express themselves in many ways, some in clothes, others in art, or even through hair. People can express themselves using hair just by changing the style or colors: Red, blue, pink, purple even rainbow.

Freshman Teegan Spears said she dyed hair because she saw her mother doing it. Spears’ pink streaks were created with the brand Manic Panic and Ion. Spears said she enjoys dyeing her hair because she likes how unnatural it is. She enjoys the different colors in her hair and how fun it is, she added.

Start off simple. Put some streaks in your hair at first or only dye your tips. Don’t go big and bright for the first time.

Freshman Teegan Spear’s hair; photo by Alexis Albright.

Sophomore Corey Sims said he decided to dye his hair blue because he was tired of his plain hair. He used Color Brilliance and let it sit in his hair for one or two hours, he said.

Junior Alice Wilson said she does not have her own technique. “I never went to school for it or anything like that, so I’m not sure how people usually dye their hair.” Without a technique, and not worrying about one, she simply just rubs it in.

“I love standing out,” she said. “I see myself as an artist and my body and hair as my canvas to explore, imagine and create.”

Wilson explained how she first bleaches or lightens her hair for 30 minutes to an hour to make it light enough for the color to come out the best. She has left pre-made hair dye in for over four  hours, but tends to normally stick to an hour.  

Some dyes are good to use and others are not. Bleaching hair over and over can really fry and damage it. Bleaching is not always necessary for the color to stand out.

Junior Alice Wilson’s hair; photo by Alexis Albright.

Some people just throw the dye in their hair without any thought. Others think about what color to use, where to put it, and how long to leave it in. Some want the color to last, to be bright and perfect. Others just want something temporary.

Freshman, Kara Spears (sister of Teegan Spears) said, “I don’t really care if people would say mean things about my hair.” Not caring about what people say she still dyes her hair. Pushing ba
ck the hate and listening to what she wants to do. “People react to my hair in a good way.”

Everyone has their own way in doing their hair. To some, there is joy in changing it up.  It is also just something different to see as the students walk down the halls.

Sophomore Corigan Sims’ hair; photo by Alexis Albright

In the near future, Teegan Spears said, she wants to dye her hair blue, purple, or red. Sims wants to dye his hair green, Kara Spears wants red, blue and purple hair, and Wilson planned to go white and light blue for the winter season.