Disney live actions reach SHS

Disney has remade a few of its original movies into live action films, including the new “Beauty and the Beast,” released March 17.

Emma Watson, Dan Stevens, and Luke Evans star in the latest “Beauty and the Beast” as Belle, Beast and Gaston.

“I hope that the new movie is as magical as the animated version. And I think they’re still going to have the same songs…” freshman Emma Rogowski said. “They better not change the ‘Gaston’ song, because that’s one of the reasons I’m so excited about it.”

“I love how Disney creates all their movies,” freshman Kayla Swallow said. “They are all unique.”

Freshman Victoria Wagner has never watched the original cartoon version but said she is excited and wants to see the new movie.

“The live action variant of this classic story presents more logical and less cartoonish characters than we had previously seen in 1991,” senior Anthony Mella said. “They are more fleshed out and more rugged, as well as given more backstory as to why they act the way they do. At the same time, it’s almost as if they are entirely new characters.”

I’m very impressed with how close the live action film was to the original cartoon. In all honesty, I never completely fell in love with Belle and the Beast. I’ve watched it enough times to count on one hand. Their film has been at least in my top three, though. I’m waiting for Disney to make a live-action “The Little Mermaid” but I don’t know how they are going to do it.

“The Jungle Book” was released  in 2016, and starred Neel Sethi, Scarlett Johansson and Ben Kingsley. I didn’t think the previews looked that good, even though as a kid I loved “The Jungle Book,” but when I finally got to watch the movie over Christmas break, I really liked it.

Live action “Cinderella” was released in 2015 and starred Lily James as Cinderella, Cate Blanchett as the stepmother and Richard Madden as Prince Charming.

“…I thought the live action ‘Cinderella’ was done very well…” freshman Grace Maragos said. “The casting for’ Cinderella’ was perfect.”

I went to see “Maleficent” opening day (in May of 2014) with freshman Alyssa Majkrzak. This film starred Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning and Sam Riley. I was very excited to see Disney’s first live-action movie. Also, it being about “Sleeping Beauty” — which I love — made it so much better.

“It’s so fun to see something you watched so often as a child played out more dramatically onscreen. I am most excited for the Little Mermaid as I would watch that movie everyday after school in Kindergarten“ junior Faith Deevers said.

Disney has announced their hopes to create new movies similar to the other live action films. Click here to view possible upcoming movies.