Style expression emerges after COVID-19 lockdown

submitted photos

Showing off their own individual fashion are: Freshman Sydney Carmen, Junior Bella Leonardi, and Spanish teacher Alexandra Klobusnik. (right, top & bottom)

Since the COVID-19 lockdown a year ago, new styles have emerged and, along with them, people’s willingness and comfort in expressing themselves through their styles. 

During quarantine, many people tried to focus inward, amend their lives, and become a better version of themselves.

Junior Bella Leonardi said during quarantine, she “really got to focus on myself and my style.” 

Freshman Sydney Carmen had a similar experience. “Quarantine helped me grow as a person, to realize what is right and wrong, and try to fix some of the things,” she said. 

These days, there is newfound freedom in what to wear. “It’s okay to wear sweatpants all the time,” noted Spanish teacher Alexandra Klobusnik. Yet when she was in high school, it was frowned upon for girls to wear sweatpants, leggings, and many other articles of clothing common in high school now. 

Some say the school dress code appears to be less strict now, with this sense of freedom and the addition of masks. There is more understanding of — and flexibility with — fashion since the lockdown occurred.

“Especially in school, we have another piece of clothing…Leonardi said, referring to the masks. “They’re not as strict on dress code. Even Foster stopped yelling at us.” 

The lenient dress code has made people feel more comfortable in finding a style. 

Outside of school, social media has inspired some trends that can be found in the hallways. 

“I usually pin a lot of stuff on Pinterest and look on TikTok,” Carmen said. 

Trends bringing back 90s and early 2000s pieces were introduced on social media. 

“I kinda like the trends, but there are a few pieces where I’m like, ‘You look like a grandma’,” Leonardi said. 

Yet the trends are not for every body type. 

“A lot of style trends lately have not been catered to plus size women…,” Klobusnik said, “but I’m pretty comfortable with my body.” 

When it comes to comfort, the other fashion trend/requirement — face  masks — has allowed people to save time and money on makeup — at least on the bottom half of their faces. 

As for mask style, black goes with everything and is the go-to color, as it can be worn with any outfit. A black mask also tends to go with the basic, comfortable style people fell into during quarantine and online school. Sweatpants, hoodies, and leggings were the attire for quarantine and online school in order to maintain comfort. People are now incorporating and styling these pieces into their everyday lives for what is known simply as a “comfortable” style.

Quarantine also changed where and how people shop. While many went in person before the coronavirus shook the world, people are now shopping online since it is a safer alternative. Going out in public during quarantine and getting out of sweatpants and hoodies to express personal style felt like a “big event.” 

Before quarantine, Leonardi said her style was “basic,” but now she adds a “lil’ spice” to her wardrobe. Her attire now consists of: “baggy pants, tight shirts and chunky shoes.” 

Carmen said her style is “comfy.” 

Klobusnik said she does not know how to define her style because, “If you look in my closet, I have everything.”

Quarantine has impacted everyone’s lives in a multitude of ways, even in the fashion world. People have more expression and confidence in what they wear to highlight the best version of themselves. From the introduction of masks and the growing influence of social media, quarantine has affected everyone’s style in a significant way.

Klobusnik said, “It’s definitely a big difference, but a good difference.”