The Student News Site of Streetsboro High School

The Orbiter

To wear a bandana

Madison Danna, Contributor

To memorialize senior AJ Simon, who died in August, the junior class sold bandanas at lunch and home football games for $5.

The baby blue bandanas represent Simon with his name and a lion, which was his favorite animal.

“Baby blue was his favorite color,” said Bianca Mella, junior class president.

The initial sale of the bandanas sparked some controversy from people who did not like the idea of profit being made from the loss of a student. However, a student close to Simon was happy to volunteer her time to sell the bandanas.

Junior Sam Setters said, “In a way, it was me helping him live on.”

“I do think it is an appropriate way to remember AJ,” said principal Jamie Hogue, “who always seemed to be wearing one and carrying three.”

Junior Lily Basar, a friend of Simon’s, was concerned about how exactly he would be memorialized.  Junior Lily Basar, a friend of Simon’s, was concerned about how exactly he would be memorialized.

“His name should not be used to make money toward something that is not for him or in memory of him,” Basar said. “His name should not be used to make money toward something that is not for him or in memory of him,” Basar said.

Mella, who was involved in the selling of the bandanas, said the way the junior class officers explained the fundraiser was misinterpreted, using the word “prom,” she said is what set people off. Mella, who was involved in the selling of the bandanas, said the way the junior class officers explained the fundraiser was misinterpreted, using the word “prom,” she said is what set people off.

Junior class adviser Molly Klodor and Hogue are working to come up with a plan to memorialize Simon appropriately — either at prom, or in the school — with profits from the sale of bandanas.

“The money raised by the junior class will be spent in a number of ways,” Hogue said.

Klodor said October 25 that the junior class had sold over 100 bandanas. They are still for sale from Klodor and the junior class officers.  Klodor said October 25 that the junior class had sold over 100 bandanas. They are still for sale from Klodor and the junior class officers.

Regardless of how it is funded, a memorial for Simon is important to the community of Streetsboro.

“Not every student in the school knew AJ as well as his friends,” Hogue said, “but his death had an impact on all of us.”