The Student News Site of Streetsboro High School

No one gives a ‘shirt’ any more

May 16, 2021

Some rules in the dress code cover the basics, such as no buttocks or chest should show, and no nudity. Other rules are seen by students as far fetched or unnecessary, while there are even a few staff and students who just don’t care.

Rules such as “all tops require sleeves,” “no body jewelry,” or “no head coverings” are most controversial. Some think these rules critiquing student’s clothing are trivial and stifle students’ creativity. 

Junior Kristen Morgan said, “The dress code shouldn’t be needed because it takes away from some people’s self expression.”

Pullquote Photo

The times have changed, so should people. They just need to move on.

— Junior Kristen Morgan

Jerry Judd, who teaches history, has a similar standpoint. He does not claim that the dress code is stifling creativity, but said he does feel the items banned by the dress code are not that big of a deal. 

“It doesn’t really bother me,” he said. “I know that a lot of these things are fashion.”

As a teacher, Judd said he is usually too caught up in the curriculum or thinking about lesson plans for the day to act on dress code violations. He added that he is “numb” and unphased by violations at this point in his career. 

Some teachers do not like taking time away from class to correct dress code infractions, and only see value in the dress code because they have to enforce it.

Math teacher Tim Foster is just one example. 

“I really don’t care about dress code…,” he said. “If administration would stop caring about dress code, then I’d be able to not say anything about dress code.” However, “It’s in the rules My job is to enforce the rules in the handbook.” 

While enforcing these rules, Foster has received some backlash from students, as he is one of the heavier dress code-ers within the school. 

“I told them [students], ‘if you truly believe in this, then get a petition… go about it the right way and get the rule changed,’” Foster said.

Judd also pointed out that over the years some items of clothing that were once banned are now allowed, such as yoga pants and shorts. 

“As times change, we become accustomed to the new changes and we deal with it,” he said. “We get used to it and we don’t pay attention to it any more.” 

Morgan agreed that times have changed and rules should be re-evaluated. “It doesn’t make sense to make rules like that, knowing it would eliminate a good majority of the student body’s wardrobe,” she said. “Also some of those rules are targeted at girls, which doesn’t make sense any more. The times have changed, so should people. They just need to move on.”