The Student News Site of Streetsboro High School

Boro Orbiter

Boro Orbiter

Boro Orbiter

Freshmen claim victory over seniors, teachers in dodgeball championship

$500 raised for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
Matt Knuth
Team captain Dom Marcini celebrates with freshman teammates after their dodgeball victory over the teachers. The dodgeball championship game was played during intervention March 15.

A dodgeball tournament held this month raised $500 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

The freshman team led by Dom Marcini, won the championship game against the teachers. Marcini’s team included Jerry Benci, Colton Cox, Brennan James, Brady Long, Brody Sanford and team manager Logan Fincham. Freshman Kyle Giacomo also subbed for James in the championship game. 

“I think our team worked pretty well together by coming into the games with a lot of intensity and energy and working together as a team,” Marcini said.

Eight teams of six players competed in the tournament during intervention periods.

Funds were raised for the LLS through a $30 entry fee per team as well as $4 spectator tickets to watch the championship game.

Dodgeball was chosen as the sport to play for this fundraiser, McCann said, because it is “inclusive” and SHS does not play it often.

Math teacher Kyle Teague gets ready to take out freshman opponents in the championship game. (Matt Knuth)

The dodgeball fundraiser was part of a competition run by the LLS called Student Visionaries of the Year. 

“I think it’s a great cause, and they do a lot of really good stuff as far as, like, helping our student leaders out in kind of facilitating,” McCann said of LLS’ campaign.

Every year, students are selected from all around the country to participate in a seven week program. Students taking a part in this campaign gain critical foster skills, help support cancer research, and have the chance to impact the fight against cancer.

Sophomore Cece Hall and junior Preston Laryea were selected by Principal Brett McCann to organize the tournament as SHS’ Student Visionaries. 

“I said yes because LLS is an excellent cause,” Hall said. “I have been affected by all kinds of cancer in my life, so I was really excited to have the opportunity to help out in any way I could.”

Senior Kaleigh Lilly seeks a freshman to eliminate in the final dodgeball match before the championship game. (Matt Knuth)

The runner-up team, led by senior Kaleigh Lilly, consisted of Sydney Carmen, Billy Koroly, Jack Pincoe and Hunter Pollock.

“It has been really fun playing with them, and I have made a better connection with all of them,” Lilly said.

After all the student teams competed, and there was only one left, the winner battled the staff for the championship title. 

“I wouldn’t say it was a tough game, but our team definitely faced some adversity in some situations,” Marcini said.

Biology teacher Tracy Schneeman, who played on the staff team, said, “Those freshmen really put on a show; kudos to them!”