The Student News Site of Streetsboro High School

Boro Orbiter

Boro Orbiter

Boro Orbiter

Milton scores slam-dunk with Unified Sports program

Louise Milton
Hubie the Alien captures a moment with the Unified basketball team.

In addition to its title-winning boys and girls basketball teams, SHS also has a Unified basketball team that involves 15 students in all grade levels.

Unified Sports is a Special Olympics program that joins people with and without intellectual and physical disabilities to start understanding the basics of different activities. Unified sports aims to help people who have disabilities enjoy sports and try something new. 

The program started here at SHS when intervention specialist Louise Milton reached out to Tallmadge High School’s Unified program coordinator. Then Milton talked to Principal Brent McCann, who approved it immediately. Milton received jerseys from Unified Sports and then all she had to do was recruit students and coaches.

Milton wanted to take a different approach to SHS’ program and make it student-led, so that means she is not in charge of games, coaching, and practices.

Sophomore Avery Hunt is one of the volunteers who helps the program run. “I joined the program because I thought it would be a fun experience,” she said. “My favorite thing we do as a unified team is practice. There’s no pressure so everyone has fun.”

Celebrating one of their players scoring basket are sophomore and junior coaches Ayla Pedery and Sydney Abbuhl. Helper Madz Genovese cheers along with them. (Nevaeh Monroe )

Another sophomore helper, Trevor Kamlowsky said, “I wanted to help allow people who don’t always have one.”

The Unified basketball team played its first game against Stow High School here at home feb 15. The  game was moved to SHS at the last minute. Only Stow could make it to the game because Tallmadge had a power outage. Streetsboro won two games and lost one against Stow. 

Then the team took a trip to Case Western Reserve Training Center March 8. Members of the Cleveland Cavs’ coaching staff greeted them and taught everyone the team’s daily practice  workout. They did drills such as passing, conditioning, and dribbling.

SHS then went to Stow High School March 15 where they competed in a tournament. The tournament included six teams. SHS went 4-0 and then played in the championship against Stow High School. The game came down to the final seconds. Maplewood student  Luci Carey made a game-sealing shot with 45 seconds left, then had a great defensive stop against Stow. The Rockets won 14-12. SHS was crowned Unified Basketball Champions  

“I just wanted everyone on the court to enjoy the excitement and the environment during the game, but I also really wanted to see my team win as well,” said sophomore helper Madz Genovese. ”They do a great job at practice every week and work super hard. Regardless, I knew they had a great time in the tournament, but winning would excite them.”

In the future, Milton plans on continuing the Unified program and doing other sports such as cornhole and kickball. Every time there is a new season/sport for the program, she plans on getting new people involved as coaches and players, to continue to grow the program. Those interested in getting involved can send her an email @[email protected].