The Student News Site of Streetsboro High School

Boro Orbiter

Boro Orbiter

Boro Orbiter

Prom held April 21 at Cleveland Zoo’s Rainforest

Couple Myra Smith & Kylan Rue crowned Queen & King
Polly Dierkens
Prom Queen and King, couple Myra Smith and Kylan Rue, share a dance after the crowning.

Senior couple Myra Smith and Kylan Rue were crowned Prom Queen and King of the Masquerade Ball held April 19 at the Cleveland MetroParks Zoo’s Rainforest. 

This was the first time Prom was held at this venue. “We needed a new location due to the cost of last year’s venue at Windows on the River,” said Prom Adviser Christine Srp “If we stayed, the ticket cost would increase.” 

Tickets this year were $75 each, plus an approximately $3 convenience charge.

Hanging out with an orangutan in the rainforest before prom starts is junior Cohen Klimak. (Cohen Klimak)

Attendees had access to the entire rainforest for the first half hour before the event officially started. They were able to see animals like monkeys, capybaras, orangutans and sloths. Then they sat down for a dinner of salad, chicken, pasta, roasted fingerling potatoes, mixed veggies and dessert. The dinner tables were arranged around more exhibits on the first floor, so the students dined amidst bats, fish, frogs and other animals.

King and queen nominees were: Kylan Rue and Myra Smith, Dom Papp and Nikki Roman, Mekhi Sims and Maddy Hajec, Chad Levert and Kaleigh Lilly.

Queen candidate Nikki Roman ran for court with her best friend, Dom Papp.Getting court changed my plans for pictures and timing,” she said, “but it made me way more excited for prom and everything that comes with it.”

Prom Queen Myra Smith and King Kylan Rue took to the dance floor after being crowned. It felt very heartwarming to win with my boyfriend,” Smith said. “I was very nervous that we wouldn’t win together, but when my name was called, I felt extremely happy that we were able to experience this together. Iit was definitely the highlight of my night and something I will never forget.” 

The Masquerade Ball experience had a lot to do with the DJ’s performance. Junior class officer, Sydney Burfield said, “I hope to change the music played at Prom [next year] because the DJ tended to play music not many people knew, or slower songs, but when the good songs came on, everyone sang and danced together.” 

Senior Dani LaFlame said she had a great time at Prom. “I did really enjoy seeing the animals and, of course, dancing is always fun. I loved getting pictures at the photo booth, too, they came out so cute. The venue last year was very pretty, being on the water, but I definitely had a lot more fun this year than last.” 

Prom had various things to do other than just dance around. The photo booth was enjoyed by many, and of course, students also said they enjoyed seeing the animals. 

“I liked the scenery,” said junior Jack Batten. “I thought it was nice how you could walk around and see all the different animals.”

Junior Cohen Klimak agreed. “I liked how the prom included a tour of the zoo and the whole exhibit was cool. I enjoyed seeing the animals then hitting the stanky leg later on in the night.”

Prom plans for next year are yet to be determined by the upcoming junior class officers and Srp.