Featherstun experiments with AP Chemistry

Renee Rose

More stories from Renee Rose

Chemistry+teacher+Matthew+Featherstun+lights+wooden+splint.+He+is+creating+a+reaction+between+oxygen+and+ethanol.+

Photo by Savanna Estes

Chemistry teacher Matthew Featherstun lights wooden splint. He is creating a reaction between oxygen and ethanol.

Matthew Featherstun will be teaching SHS’ first AP Chemistry course next school year. 

The course consists of 20 different topics and 16 labs required by the College Board. 

Designed like a first-semester college chemistry course, this AP class is recommended for anyone planning to take chemistry in college. No matter what major students decide to pursue, they can earn the credit for a first-year college class with Featherstun.

While Featherstun has taught chemistry here for 17 years, this will be his first time teaching an AP course. 

“It’s a different philosophy than how I normally would view my courses,” he said.

With different glassware equipment and additional heating devices, students will learn a variety of different topics, from standard heat of formation to Hess’s Law

Featherstun recommends hardworking students take the course.

“It’s gonna need to be a student that can prioritize daily preparation for the entire school year,” he said.

Several students are enthused about the implementation of the program in the school. 

Sophomore Alyssa Schofield said, “I’m excited to take this new course and I think it will help students advance their knowledge in chemistry.”

Schofield is also planning on taking a variety of other AP classes next year, including Calculus, U.S. Government and Politics and Computer Science. 

She said Featherstun is the perfect fit to teach AP Chemistry.

Featherstun instructs his second period Honors Chemistry II class  April 22. (Photo by Renee Rose)

I think Mr. Featherstun will be a good teacher for this program because he knows the information, and does a lot to prepare his students for tests, and still makes the class fun for his students.”

Featherstun said his goal for the students taking the course is that every student is academically prepared to earn at least a ‘3’ and at the end of the course still like chemistry.”

Students who earn a three, four, or five on the AP Exam will earn college credit for the course. 

Counselor Kelly Simmons said her goal for the students is to challenge themselves in earning this credit.

“My ultimate goal is for students to leave the class with exposure to college-level curriculum, but to also be comfortable breaking out of their comfort zone and challenging themselves to a really high level.”

All in all, the new introduction of the AP Chemistry course to Streetsboro High School with Featherstun teaching will advance many students’ knowledge and continue the growth of education at SHS. 

Simmons said, “There will  be more ways for students to take on challenges in the future that we have in the works right now after we get AP chemistry off the ground.