The Student News Site of Streetsboro High School

Boro Orbiter

Boro Orbiter

Boro Orbiter

Band director Stephanie Bonitz focused on personal and program growth

Harmony Brown
Director Stephanie Bonitz hangs out with sophomores Ezra White and Finn Atkin in between pep band songs at a basketball game.

Stephanie Bonitz came to Streetsboro this past August from Mogadore in hopes of bringing a new perspective and consistency to the district’s band program. 

Over the past few years, the band has experienced much change including a revolving door of five directors.  It has been a challenging time, not only for those who have tried to fill the shoes of those before them, but also to the students throughout the district involved with band. When the door opened once again for another director, Bonitz felt it was the right time for not only her personal growth, but to help the growth and restructure of the program. 

“I asked myself for the next half of my career, do I want to be alone, or do I want to, professionally and personally, work with people, and work with a general music teacher, and have another band director to collaborate with,” Bonitz said. 

She believed it was time to take a huge step in her career and be able to creatively expand, not only herself, but with other musical directors, including Assistant Band Director, Allison Logan. 

Director Stephanie Bonitz presents the high school concert band at OMEA early this month.

Logan said, “When she first accepted the position, she made it very apparent that she was invested in the Streetsboro community as a whole. She really took an interest in the well-being and musicianship of our students.” 

The two directors have worked together in the past year to bring a balanced vitality within the band that has not been around for a while. The two directors have the same priorities, which revolve around their students and the attainment of their musical passion and abilities.  

Bonitz entered the Streetsboro band program knowing the obstacles the students have gone through. Yet, she found a way around them, and was able to, not only form a strong musical structure, but structures throughout the sections for the high school band. 

Auxiliary Captain, senior Colleen Jordan said, “I saw a lot more stability throughout each section, more friendships forming,” this year with Bonitz at the helm.

High school teaching is something that can be tricky for anyone, but Bonitz said, “I love high school because there is so many musical aspects coming together after years of practice.” 

She added that she enjoys hearing the years of practice coming together, and the mixed talent through each grade, form into one sound. Although high school has a higher standard, the younger classes are also gratifying and fun to teach, she said. “There’s a lot of ‘aha’ moments for the younger kids, which can be very rewarding.” 

Bonitz has been a part of band since her first opportunity to join in the fifth grade. As for who taught her what she knows now, she said, “Who really teaches you your instrument? It’s you, it’s yourself.” 

Bonitz has almost a philosophical idea when it comes to music, which can be inspiring for her younger students who are just beginning their musical journey. She also said she believes it is important for younger minds to experience music, whether they continue with it or not,  because it can be quite beneficial for a growing brain. 

“Music gives them a different way of learning…I think that’s important for our brain function and for everything we do in life past music…,” she said. “There’s a lot of physiological components of it that are really important for human development.”

Bonitz has always had a passion for teaching and knew it was something she wanted to do. “As a kid I always wanted to play school and make people do things,” she joked. 

Before she officially decided on music education, she also said she considered English. “I had my sights set on education, and had a toss up on English or band.” 

She built her career in Mogadore starting in 2013 after being at Edon Northwest Local Schools five years prior. Bonitz said leaving [Mogadore] was a tough and scary decision. And while it was something out of her comfort zone, she said she felt it was also somewhat of an easy decision. 

Although Bonitz is a now Rocket, she said she will always cherish those students she taught before. Bonitz said the Mogadore Wildcats will “…have a soft spot in my heart.” 

For what is to come in the future for these students, both directors have similar ideas on where they want to take them musically and geographically. Bonitz said, “I want to reinstate more travel, even throughout Ohio, which I have some ideas for that.”