The Student News Site of Streetsboro High School

Boro Orbiter

Boro Orbiter

Boro Orbiter

2025 trip set for Costa Rica due to efforts of Holly Ushiroda

21 students signed up so far
Spanish+teacher+Holly+Ushiroda+captures+a+moment+with+the+21+students+signed+up+for+the+trip+so+far.+
Polly Dierkens
Spanish teacher Holly Ushiroda captures a moment with the 21 students signed up for the trip so far.

For the first time in years, an international trip is being put into motion at SHS due to the efforts of Spanish teacher, Holly Ushiroda. So far, 21 students and three staff chaperones will be traveling to Costa Rica March 22-29, 2025.  

Ushiroda proposed the idea to Principal Brett McCann around mid-January. Without any hesitation, Ushiroda said, McCann was completely on board with the idea of an international trip. Ushiroda had wanted to do this for a while, she said, but Covid-19 and other situations got in the way. 

Now, in 2024, Ushiroda said, it is a great time to start preparing such a big trip. 

“…When it’s all said and done, Mrs.Ushiroda will have devoted hundreds of hours to making this trip a success,” McCann said. 

Ushiroda said she decided to collaborate with Explorica because it is a reputable travel company that specializes in big international field trips. 

A few prerequisites must be met before anyone can go on SHS’ trip. The first is to pay the $3,000 price tag to cover plane travel, food and hotel costs.

Students must have also completed two years of a world language or be currently enrolled in one. They cannot have any major disciplinary records, either, and must have a current passport.

Arenal Volcano (Bela Marie/Pixabay)

With such a large price tag, the trip offers numerous fun activities, including visiting the Arenal Volcano and its hot springs. This volcano has been dormant since 2010, so students do not have to worry about any eruption happening. 

“I think the trip will be ok as long as I see a toucan,” said sophomore Cam Wiggins.

Other activities students can enjoy on this eight-day trip include kayaking, hiking, swimming and yoga on the beach.

The experience students will have on this trip will be like no other. “I have traveled with students before as well, and there’s just there’s nothing that quite compares to a school trip, especially one that is international,” Ushiroda said.

None of the current high school students, except for the freshmen, had the opportunity to go to Washington D.C. in their eighth grade year. Many were agitated that they missed such a big field trip, so when this trip was announced, it was seen as something even bigger to make up for missing the D.C. field trip. 

Junior Mak Claflin said she was eager to go on this trip as soon as it was announced. She was one of the first people to sign up. 

“I missed the DC trip because we were in COVID in eighth grade, so I didn’t get to go to that and I was really bummed out, so I think this will definitely make up for it, and even more since it’s way bigger…,” Claflin said. “I think it’ll be a lot more fun.” 

Freshman Amaya Basinger is also signed up for the trip. “I’m most excited to add another place to my passport,” she said. “This will be my second time traveling internationally, and these trips are so fun. It gives me a chance to learn about different cultures, foods and people; I think these trips are definitely worth the price. It’s a great opportunity and an amazing story you will be able to tell for the rest of your life.”

Safety is something that will definitely be kept in mind throughout the span of the trip. A tour guide will be with the group at all times. Ushiroda and French teacher Bella Bookman will chaperone, and additional staff will be added for every six students who sign up.  

For more information on this trip, contact [email protected], or review this slide show.