Julie Taylor hired as middle school principal

Lindsay Zenker filling assistant principal role at high school

Kristen Morgan

Assistant principal (at the time) Julie Taylor laughs with seniors Mason Dundon and Hunter Hopperton while helping plan Homecoming spirit week.

Principals Julie Taylor and Lindsay Zenker swapped schools after spring break and SHS head principal Brett McCann explained the situation by comparing it to a puzzle.

“It is about fit,” McCann said. “Think of it as a puzzle. Ms. Taylor is a better fit at the middle school right now and Mrs. Zenker is a better fit for the high school right now. They both care strongly about kids. The only difference I see with them is their personalities.”

“Change is hard no matter how it comes,” he added.

Taylor was officially hired as the new middle school principal at the May 12 board meeting and will not return to the high school. 

Prior to being officially hired for the position, Taylor shared that her main goal for the middle school is to set up structure and expectations throughout the building. She added that she wants to improve the social climate for the staff and students, along with the education aspect. 

Capturing a moment with seventh grader Kaelyn Malloy at the middle school is Julie Taylor, who was official hired as head principal of SMS last week. (Kristen Morgan)

“[I want the staff to know] that I am human and will make mistakes but we are in this together as a team,” Taylor said.

She has been working in the district for almost three years.  Prior to coming to Streetsboro, Taylor was a middle school principal. She originally got her degree in middle school education and said she is very comfortable at SMS. She said she is happy to accept the job as head principal. 

Though some SHS staff and students are sad to see Taylor go, they are happy for her.

I think that it’s a great opportunity for Ms. Taylor, and I’m very proud of her,” McCann said. “We have talked a lot over the last two years about her next steps, and she has always wanted to be a head principal. Seeing her get that opportunity, while being able to stay in Streetsboro, is great for her and our district.”

Before Taylor was offered the job she said she wanted to make sure all students at SHS knew that if they need anything that she is still there for them.

“Keep doing what you are supposed to be doing,” Taylor advises them.  “If you need anything I am just one email away, and seniors I will see you at prom and graduation.”

While Zenker and Taylor have different personalities and leadership styles, both said their favorite parts of Streetsboro are the community and students. 

“It is very similar to how I grew up,” Taylor said. “The staff here is great and a lot of the staff are graduates from Streetsboro.”

Lindsay Zenker posing with Jean Utz at the Highschool. “I want students to know that I will never give up on them” Zenker said.

Zenker has worked for Streetsboro for 11 years and has been in all of the buildings except for Streetsboro Elementary. She has served as both an assistant principal and head principal. 

“The hardest part of my job is getting to fully know the students and their problems,” Zenker said. She expressed how she wants to be able to help and fix these problems but realizes that it is not always achievable.

Zenker said she wants students to feel comfortable coming to her for help, that she is there to hold them accountable for their actions and to offer support.

She said she wants students to know “that I will never give up on them. Your future does not have to be the cookie-cutter version of success.”

With the principal swap, Zenker is back in her element of the high school atmosphere. She is certified to teach math at the high school level and said she has enjoyed the experience of being back in this type of setting. 

If she were offered a permanent position as the assistant principal, Zenker said, she would accept it.